Friday, January 22, 2016

Writer's block

I don't know why but I've been trying to write and not able to get anything even remotely satisfying. It's not that I don't have ideas, its that my writing out those ideas is crap. If you saw my last story you know I like the cold open. But right now everything I right has way too much set up. Any ways, I've been watching Kill La Kill. How the fuck do these people do this. Its so stupid but its the good type of stupid. I want to be able to do that. Its really easy to look at this stuff and get really discouraged. Well, I guess we get better. There's nothing to do but get practice here.

So I need to fill a blog entry huh. Well lets talk about stuff I think I would like. I'm a big fan of anti-heroic sociopaths as protagonists. Probably comes from Darker Than Black. Good show and you should watch it. Similarly, I like having some powers for a protagonists. It's much more interesting than if they're static, normal people. One of the issues I have with the Cyberpunk 2020 setting is the lack of any real special things that distinguish the player characters from others. Even when you're playing a normal, non-magic characters  in Shadowrun you have edge, a resource that represents a sort of cosmic backing or supernatural luck for the characters. Characters aren't just random schmucks, they're Shadowrunners, with all the implications of that. Compare to the Cyberpunks who don't have much special to them. You can see why one might be more interesting. (Does Cyberpunk have an edge system? If it does, it's not as clearly defined.)

Speaking of Shadowrun, I also like the consolidation of magic and technology. It sort of makes sense. If magic really existed, we would try to evoke modern technology with it. Modern tech has a lot of things going for it. Its reliable and accessible to the common person through easily sold, cheap to produce accessories without having to give commoners access to the actual tools used to make them, limiting their ability to revolt or build weapons. Its a more sensible setting than, say, the average D&D setting where there are old ruins and tombs everywhere for no reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment